Founded February 16, 1954
Ernagene Sonenfield, Westlake City Council member, founded the Westlake League of Women Voters on February 16, 1954, with the help of Betty Frederick of the Lakewood League. Dues were $3.00 per year.
A North Olmsted unit began in the fall of 1955, and a joint League, Westlake/North Olmsted, began in 1964. Subsequently in the early part of the 21st century, Westlake/North Olmsted became the Westlake/North Olmsted Chapter of the LWV of Greater Cleveland.
Long time Leaguer Lois Van Auken recalls issues discussed in the l970’s included school levies, recreation, Cuyahoga Valley National Park, appointed judges and the county charter.
Important local links: